Thursday, December 29, 2011

Vintage and New for Christmas!

Hope Santa was good to everyone out there that reads my blog - hopefully he left you some great new items and of course, some old vintage goodies as well.    Here's a few of my new treasures....

My son Darcy knows what I like - he found a Friendship 403 bowl - my very first fridgie was Friendship from VV and that's the only piece I owned until now -he also gave me this great book Antique Trader - Antiques & Collectibles 2012 Price Guide - it's full of color pictures - great for identification.


I've never seen one of these platters before - my friend Susan found this for me - I've been researching it, I saw it called Pink Leaves but I don't know if that's the correct name or not -there is also a cake pan with the same pattern.  It's a huge platter - measuring about 12 inches across.  It's so pretty and just in pristine condition!!



Every time I go to the antique markets I'm wanting a ball jug - why I've never purchased one, I don't know but now I have two - Gary sneaked one out last time we were there and Carla purchased one as well - lucky me!!


A few weeks ago I found my first Vera scarf after reading about them on various blogs  My good friend, Carol from Alberta sent it to me- but now has become interested in the Vera scarves too - wonder if I should send it back???  I don't think I will!!


Santa brought me some great books - many hours will be spent going through these....


A few days before Christmas an elderly lady I know gave me these old cookbooks - she said there was nobody in her family that would be interested in them or want them so I might as well enjoy them.  All of the books belonged to her late husband's mother - the oldest one is the Five Roses Cookbook, copyright 1915.  She had also written some recipes in the back few pages - in the recipe for "Peanuts Crisp" - she writes - " put sugar in pan over hot fire and stir until melted."  This is an old book!!  The other books are both covered in plastic -you don't see many books protected like that anymore!!  One is The Victory Cook Book compiled by the Women's Institute of Carlton County, New Brunswick, 1943.  There's lots of old advertisements from the area in this one.  The other book is also a wartime book, 1945 - The Maine Rebekahs Cookbook.  I know it's easy to find recipes on the internet and there's lots of great ones, but I'll always love looking through cookbooks - whether they're old or new.



I have much catching up to do - guess I should start over at Vintage Thingie Thursday - as always lots of goodies to check out...  Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday -  and best wishes for the New Year!!

9 comments:

  1. Wow - how great to receive those cook books!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second piece of Friendship Pyrex that I've seen today, and frankly I'm starting to get a little jealous!
    Wishing you health, happiness and prosperity in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved visiting and seeing all your vintage goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the Pyrex Pink Leaf pattern is really nice. I wonder why they didn't produce more pieces in that design. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh that pyrex is lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a haul of wonderful goodies! Those cookbooks are real treasures. Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friendship pyrex..just bought some at an auction.
    Love the cookbooks.
    I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes Christmas can be just plain fun. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am looking for that leaf plate:) I have the cake pan from years ago and never found the plate:) Sooooo pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete