Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer Fashions in 1958

I went for an overnight stay to Carla's on the weekend - our big plan was to hit up the yard sales, we did but it was a great big bust - we bought nothing!!  Last year we went and we found some half decent things, this year it was loads and loads of clothing, toys, buck store stuff and just junk in general that we surely are not interested in. That's why I said that the two yard sales I struck gold at this year would probably be it for the summer - that could very well be true!


We did venture to an antique shop that we had wanted to check out before but never did, it was just ok, don't think I will need to go back again for another year.  I am always on the lookout for a Christmas catalogue, none again but I picked this Simpsons Sears catalogue up, there's no cover on it, but I had to buy it, it's from the year of my birth - 1958.  Vintage fashions always make for a good blog post - here's what my Mom must have been wearing that summer....  There are so many great things in these catalogues to share - hope you enjoy the fashion show.



I love the dress on the upper left - drip-dry tie print cotton - it cost a whopping $8.99



The coral dress on the bottom left came with a personally monogrammed hankie - the dress was only $6.99


Many of the pages are in black and white - aren't they all just so Mad Men??


Maternity Styles - to look your very best!


You could buy the "Heather Glen" coat for $39.95 cash or $4.00 down with payments of $5.00


These seemed to be a lot of drip dry clothing - the most expensive shirt on the page is $2.98


Here's some drip-dry skirts - they're all pretty cute!!


I like the turquoise "boxy "popover" in cotton corduroy


"Slims"


There are six pages of hats - so many styles and so fashionable!


Elegance in leather and plastic!!!


Love the "baby dolls" 


These slips could pass for dresses now...


Notice the briefs with "Jax" Active Back!!  No bikinis or thongs back then..


This looks painful to wear!!


I remember Mom having these buckles and bows to go on shoes, I think Carla has a pair of them now...


These don't look so different from what we might see now.

What do you think of the styles back then?




I'm joining in today at Sunny Simple MondayJunkin Joe , Thriftasaurus and Vintage Thingie Thursday

16 comments:

  1. What fun! The white gloves are smahing. I remember wearing them to church on Easter Sunday. I was 10 in 1958, so I remember all of this well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish people still dressed like this! I love when you show pages of old catalog's!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a find! These pages are so cool! I love seeing what the fashions were back in the day!! You'll surely have to smash some of these pages, right??

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 16, 2013

    Love them all! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love browsing through vintage fashion catalogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all these awesome pages with us! I love old catalogs too. It's interesting to see what has changed -under britches- and what hasn't or has come back, like the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great find! Love the dresses-- and prices too! Moms-to-be today should take notes!

    Are there kids' and mens' clothing? Housewares? Would love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old catalogs, thanks for posting some of the lovely vintage fashion from 1958!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all just so cute and charming! I'm so glad that many of those styles are back!
    Such a great post Jill!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome little find! Everything look so "Leave it to beaver" perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJuly 17, 2013

    Oh, this is just wonderful. I love these old catalogs and I used to make paper dolls and cut out little girls and then cut out dresses that would fit them. Thank you so much for popping in to see me and I think I'm already following your Pyrex blog!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eek! Jill I am so loving this post, it's just great seeing all the fashions. I think my mother and grandmother had some of those dresses. Some of those things would be very cool to own now.

    Thanks for sharing your catalog! :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these images. I do remember my mother and gma dressing similar to this. Gma he lovely hats, gloves. And accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great memories. I never knew there was anything but a Sears book for years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Spirit of the Lord is with them that fear him. Fashionsty

    ReplyDelete